Sunday 10 June 2018

Minds need care as much as bodies


  The ‘why’ question hung ominously over a week with two headline suicides of high-achievers. That they strived and succeeded while pursued by inner demons isn’t mysterious. Twas ever thus. Desperation can be an effective engine. What is perplexing in Kate Spade’s case is her fear of seeking treatment lest it upset her happy-face brand image. 

   She wasn’t alone in her resistance. Despite all the media hype about mental health awareness, there is a shame about admitting to what are seen as psychological flaws.  Bodies suffer from a multiplicity of congenital ailments – diabetes, heart, digestive and skin conditions. Few arrive perfectly formed so why should the synapses and neurological structure of the brain be the exception?

   The stigma about madness increases and prolongs the suffering of former soldiers, blighted by PTSD. It’s seen as weakness in a way that a physical injury is not. Drop a hundred-pound weight on your foot and bones will break. Why should the mind be any different? Life can drive people mad if conditions are extreme enough. 

   I’ve never suffered from catatonic depression, suicidal impulses or manic highs so why did I embark on a long and at times painful psychological journey? When I was 20 I thought I was the sanest person I knew. By my mid-thirties, despite being professionally successful, I could see myself locked into recurring patterns of behaviour and relationships, which weren’t exactly my fault but clearly had some baffling connection to me. Once is bad luck, twice a coincidence, more than that it was down to me. 

   What made it easier was moving to London, which was awash with a rainbow array of guides into the deeper recesses of the psyche. Being away from home also helped, since there was no need for embarrassing explanations.   My first counsellor was a truly lovely man, spiritual and transpersonal in inclination. He disliked coping with depression and all matters sexual which would have had the Freudians rolling their eyes in dismay. But he was a gentle introduction into a vast new world I never knew existed.

   A Jungian psychotherapy training followed, of which the less said the better, since the analyst was less than useful. Though my peers were an encouraging support group as we struggled to cope with training cases whose problems weren’t covered in the literature. 

  Along the way I tripped serendipitously into Esalen on the Big Sur coast of California, a former hippie haunt which had fostered many of the alternative greats – Gestalt Fritz Perles, Aldous Huxley, deep-tissue massage Ida Rolfe, Stanislav Grof.  A fabulous setting above the Pacific on old Native American grounds with hot sulphur spring baths, it was (and probably still is) known as heaven and hell. Intense five day emotional-process workshops opened up gut-wrenching stories. What made the experience (personal and other) bearable were the best masseurs on the planet and hours in a hot tub watching the otters play amongst the kelp in the sea below or staring up at the Milky Way at midnight. Mind and body are seen as inextricably linked there and both need care.

  Esalen saved my sanity as I extricated myself from a damaging therapist and failing marriage. But clearly not all problems had been ironed out so a five-day-a-week independent Freudian analysis followed. Two years, I reckoned at the outset. Seven years later I left. 

   In parallel to gruelling years on the couch, I fell into a media child abuse campaign, partly by accident, which turned into a science argument about the effects of trauma – sexual abuse, war, Holocaust. My knowledge base expanded at speed as it turned out most of the psychological theories taught in trainings were tosh when it came to coping with the ‘black hole’ of trauma. 

   My journey has been an individual one, spurred on by dissatisfaction with my life but also by curiosity. Nina Coltart (Slouching Towards Bethlehem), a wise old bird of an analyst, once said to me in a consultation that studying the mind in depth is a privilege. Difficult to remember when you’re sinking into the pit of misery which lies way below everyone’s happy face. But the intellect alone won’t find the answers. 

   The old rule of thumb in the therapy world was that patients/clients had to be at the last gasp of desperation before treatment would work. Only when inner turmoil had gone beyond the point of tolerance would there be sufficient motivation to plunge into a confrontation with the unconscious. Concerned friends and family pushing aren’t enough. 

  I’m still conflicted about that advice since I know how extraordinarily helpful the process has been for me in later life; and wish others stuck in a life of recycling dilemmas had been persuaded into their own inner exploration. Depth analysis isn’t everyone’s path but there’s now a wide range of choices from the cognitive (change thinking habits), short-term CAT, to ongoing relationship-oriented counselling and therapy. 

    Carl Jung, to whose ideas I’ve returned after a jaundiced separation from my training, thought the mid life crisis in the late 30s and early forties was a crucial turning point. Make that transition successfully by going on an inner journey and the second half of life has meaning. Ignoring it and continuing along a life of outer striving – success, possessions, social status -  leads to stagnation and a sense of inner emptiness. 

   Seeking psychological help isn’t only about admitting to being mad. Truthfully at one level everyone is mad; some are just better admitting it than others. Major glitches need to be fixed as far as is possible and an acceptance reached about what can’t. But there are add-on benefits on the road less travelled from finding a new way of looking at oneself and fellow human beings.

 
   Teaching relationship psychology in schools to shine a light on underlying motivations as well as family dynamics would be a giant step forward. We are abysmally unaware of how the human heart and psyche operate. Starting young might help to get over later hurdles.    

Follow me on:
BUY my new crime thriller BY the LIGHT of a LIE at: www.marjorieorr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment