Sunday 24 December 2017

Fictional characters who live on



As a voracious devourer of novels I can get through two or three a week, in my end-of-the-day, mandatory wind-down two hours reading by the fire. Crime, spy and historical mainly.
  Since it’s that time of year I thought I’d look at the ones which  have stuck in mind over the years. I adore Robert Harris, Mick Herron, John Le Carre, Charles Cummings, Abir Mukerjee, Mark Billingham, Philip Kerr, Lee Child, Sarah Dunant and buy every new one which appears. 

   But of the ones I can’t get out of my head, top of the list has to be Abraham Verghese’s Cutting for Stone. It is set in Ethiopia about English-Italian twin brothers cast adrift when their mother dies in childbirth and their surgeon father abandons them. One brother studies medicine in the States, the other stays to help women suffering internal damage from forced early pregnancies and female mutilation. It’s a poignant story about exile, the search for a missing father and forgiveness between brothers, conjoined at birth but separated by the chaos of a civil war. Lyrically descriptive, it left me with indelible images of place and people.

Adam Johnson’s The Orphan Master’s Son, which eventually won the 2013 Pulitzer, I approached with caution. 450 pages on the hell of North Korea wasn’t that enticing but it was well reviewed, so I started and couldn’t stop. It is Orwellian-noir about the brutality of a beyond-Stalinesque regime, but, bizarrely, also funny and heart-rending about love, life and death in the Dear Leader’s gulag. 

  Kashuo Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go was another surprise since I tend to avoid horror and science-fiction. But it didn’t read as dystopian, more an allegory on the loss of innocence in childhood, a search for connection and meaning in a manipulated world. The haunting characters facing impossible dilemmas out of their control linger on.


   As you can tell, I’m not big on reading straight comedy, though Mick Herron is laugh-out-loud, as is Abir Mukerjee. John Niven, a fellow-Scot, however, made it over that hurdle with his scabrously funny Kill My Friends, about a hedonistic A&R man in the music business. It did go on a bit and the humour may well be too Glaswegian for some tastes. His The Second Coming didn’t quite work though has some treasured one-liners. His Straight, White Male about a Kingsley-Amis-ish novelist/screenplay writer was the best of them.

  And who wouldn’t adore The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion about a high IQ academic crafting a theoretical strategy for finding the perfect wife? Blissfully witty.

   Character, character, character is what leaves the deepest impression. A gripping plot helps but without the human element it lacks glue. 


   Read more on my blog about Memory versus the Truth; Books Better Comforters than Parents; and How to Cook up a Successful Novel - joke. 


Follow me on:


No comments:

Post a Comment